Natalie Portman has a B.A. in Psychology from Harvard and has been published in two scientific journals.
Mayim Bialik has a Ph.D. in neuroscience. The former star of TV’s Blossom now plays Dr. Amy Farah Fowler, a neurobiologist, on The Big Bang Theory
Kris Kristofferson was a rugby star in college who became a Rhodes Scholar, graduating from Oxford with a BPhil (the equivalent of a Master’s degree) in English Literature. He then joined the military and became a helicopter pilot and a U.S. Army Ranger (e.g., a member of the U.S. special forces). He later became one of the most successful and celebrated country music stars of all time, as well as a successful film actor.
- High school does not mean your hallways are full of lockers and you use them after each class. Most of the time you just carry around your backpack with you all day.
- In movies, every student looks like a model or someone really photogenic to fit their character. This is not the case in real life.
- Everybody is a part of a clique. This is sort of true in terms of how most people have a close circle of friends, but generally everybody is friendly or otherwise not rude. In movies you are either a cheerleader, jock, nerd, goth, or the shy teenager.
- No students from low socioeconomic backgrounds. Hollywood wants to believe that everybody who attends high school lives in a 4-bedroom, 3-bathroom house in the suburbs. Either that or they are rich and live in a mansion.
- The school principal is not an asshole. He’s just doing his job and actually is friendly if you don’t cause trouble.
- Prom is not the biggest part of your life – seriously this has to be the most overrated thing in high school movies. It is one day of your life that will be spent either under the influence or bored quickly. It’s more fun if you just ask out a friend instead of a secret crush.
- A lot of students don’t have cars, and most of them are clunkers or their parent’s. Don’t expect to drive a brand new car….ever.
- Throwing a massive house party with tons of alcohol and booze won’t make you popular. It might open the door to socialize with students you otherwise don’t talk to, but work on your penmanship because you will be writing letters to them from a juvenile detention center.
- The atmosphere of football games are not that nice…the field could be run down, half of the people who bought tickets aren’t watching the game, and more often than not your team isn’t that good.
- Cutting school is not a big adventure with crazy twists. It is just you staying home instead of going to school.
- Chances are you are failing a class because you didn’t do the work, not because the teacher hates you.